Menu Close


Should I complete my courses before I enrol or should I enrol now?

There are advantages to enrolling now. Most importantly, you will be able to tell your employer that you are a member of CIB. Many employers reimburse students for courses taken towards a designation. In addition, you will be updating your status level as you continue to take courses. Since courses completed before enrolment may become outdated, you would protect your status by enrolling now.

How long do I have to complete the academic courses?

We recommend that students complete courses within five years of joining CIB. There is some flexibility allowed depending on individual circumstances. Most courses are offered on a basis at your local Community College.

When should I register my courses with CIB?

Students should immediately register a course upon successful completion of the course. This will protect your status from future changes in the program. An official grade report, not photocopies, must be submitted. Once a course has been entered into your data file, it is accepted for credit even if there are program changes in the future.

What is the difference between a transcript and a grade report?

A transcript from your Community College includes all courses completed to date. This is required when you register any courses at the time of enrollment. A grade report is the document indicating the grade for a course completed recently. It is required to register a course completed after enrolling in CIB.

What is the mark required to register a course?

Normally, the mark is 65%. Some Colleges give a letter grade which may differ among the Colleges. Consult the College calendar to determine what the letter grade is equivalent to. In certain cases, there may be flexibility in the required grade depending on the student’s work experience. Contact CIB if this is relevant to your situation.

Does CIB accept courses taken from a private school?

Since each private school evaluates their courses independently, CIB is unable to assess these for registration. Some Colleges may recognize them. Contact your local College before enrolling in these courses to have an assessment made for possible credit. If granted, CIB would then accept the course for registration.

Do any Colleges offer correspondence or on-line courses?

Many Colleges offer some of the courses by correspondence or on the internet. Contact your local College for specific courses or check our course equivalency list

After submitting my Experience Evaluation Questionnaire (EEQ), how long does it take to receive my designation?

It may take approximately two to three months after submitting the EEQ provided all requirements have been met. This time is required to evaluate your experience and make appropriate verification of your submission.

I use Simply Accounting at work. Can I get a credit?

Even if you have experience with Simply Accounting, there may be advantages to taking the courses at your local College. Alternatively, you may have a Prior Learning Assessment done by your College. If you receive a credit, it will be accepted by CIB.

Do I need to take more courses after I receive my designation?

No additional courses are required after receiving your designation. However, Certified members are strongly advised to continue to update their knowledge to maintain currency in the profession.

Work Related

What kind of work experience is required?

In order to obtain the Certified Bookkeeper designation, you must also obtain three years of full-time practical bookkeeping experience where you have demonstrated the skills and knowledge acquired in the academic program. Students are expected to have been involved in most of the bookkeeping functions such as Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Cash Receipts, Cash Disbursements and Payroll.

Is bookkeeping experience outside of Canada accepted?

The CIB professional development program requires Canadian work experience. With proper verification, CIB may grant up to one year for experience obtained in a foreign country.

When do I submit my experience questionnaire?

Firstly, the academic program must be completed. Secondly, three years of full-time and relevant bookkeeping experience must have been obtained. In order to become Certified, you must be currently working as a bookkeeper.

How can I find a job in the Bookkeeping field?

If you are changing careers, or if this is your first career choice, you would need to complete Level I and Level II of the academic program. This would help obtain an entry-level position with an employer. Many employers do ask for experience. However, they can not always get both the academic background and experience they would like from a prospective employee. In such cases, many employers would be willing to train you, if you have the academic background.

What are the implications of terminating my membership?

Your personal file will be removed from the membership list. If you decide to rejoin at a later date, you would need to go through the enrolment and registration process again.

If I cancel my membership, can I still keep my Diploma?

No. The Diploma is the property of CIB and is only provided to members who remain in good standing. If you are no longer a member, you must refrain from using the designation for any purposes whatsoever. Continued use of the designation, Certified Bookkeeper, would constitute a fraudulent action on your part which could have serious consequences financially or in regards to any current or future employment opportunities.


What are the benefits of enrolling in CIB?

By enrolling in CIB, you become a member of a national organization dedicated to promoting the advancement of Certified Bookkeepers within the bookkeeping profession. Completion of the professional development program lets prospective employers or clients know that you have attained a high level of competence in your field. As a member of a professional organization, you can obtain a designation that will offer greater opportunities and rewards in the future and increase your stature in your community. As a CIB member you will receive a quarterly newsletter and have access to discounts to a variety of goods and services.

Why do members pay an annual membership fee?

The membership fee is one of the lowest fees for any professional organization. It is used to cover the cost of advancing the goals of the Institute. Members are invoiced upon enrolment and can claim a tax deduction with the receipt provided by the Institute. Self-employed members can claim it as a deductible business expense.

Why is there no GST on the annual membership fee?

By choosing to remain GST exempt, CIB absorbs the extra cost of paying GST. By not claiming rebates, CIB has been able to lower your membership fee.

What is the purpose of the enrolment fee?

Payment of this fee indicates a student is serious about completing the academic and experience requirements to become a Certified Bookkeeper. Once this fee is received, a personal file is initiated for the student in CIB’s data base.

Why is a registration fee required?

Course registration must be verified as to accuracy and currency. This requires constant referral to College calendars. Once you become a member of CIB, your personal file is established. When your transcripts are received, it is necessary determine that the courses that you completed are eligible for credit. Your courses are verified with a master list. Often, acceptable courses may have a different course number from the master list and CIB must contact the College for a course outline. Once verified, your courses are entered into your file.

The course registration fee covers these administration costs.

Can I use a credit card for payments?

At this time, CIB only accepts a personal cheque or money order.

Does CIB have a job placement service?

Currently, CIB does not have an employment referral service. Member can access to the MembersOnly site which posts various job offers submitted by prospective employers.